- 2 16oz jars whole onions
- 3 TBSP + 1/4 cup butter
- 2 TBSP flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sharp processed American cheese, shredded (I used Cheddar)
- 1/2 cup buttered breadcrumbs
2) Drain onions and reserve some liquid in jars.
3) Melt butter 3 TBSP butter in a pot.
4) Add flour and blend it in well to make a roux.
5) Remove from heat.
6) Add the milk and stir until blended.
7) Return to heat and cook until thickened and bubbling slightly.
8) Turn off the heat.
9) Add cheese.
10) Stir until melted. If too thick add the reserved liquid.
11) Add the onions and mixture to a lightly buttered 1 quart dish.
12) In the same pot add the 1/4 cup butter and breadcrumbs.
13) Add on top of the onions.
14) Cook for 40 minutes.