- 40 g (1 1/2 oz) butter
- 500 g (1 lb) onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 TBSP chopped thyme
- 50 g (2 oz) walnuts, chopped
- 350 g (11 1/2 oz) puff pastry, defrosted if frozen
- plain flour, for dusting
- 150 g (5 oz) blue cheese, diced
- salt and black pepper
2) Add the onions, garlic and thyme and cook over a medium heat.
3) Stir occasionally for 20-25 minutes until soft and golden.
4) Preheat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas Mark 7.
5) Add in the walnuts.
6) Let cool.
7) Roll the pastry out on a lighly floured work surface to form a rectangle 40 x 20 cm (16 x 8 in).
8) Cut the rectangle vertically in half.
9) Cut this horizontally into quarters to make eight squares. I did not have enough dough (misread the package so I got 6 rectangles)
10) Divide the onion mixture between the squares, leaving a narrow boarder around the edges.
11) Scatter over the blue cheese.
12) Transfer the pastries to a large baking sheet and bake in the oven.
13) Cook until the pastry is puffed and the cheese is golden, about 12-15 minutes.
14) Leave to cool slightly and serve warm.