- 750 g (1 1/2 lb) Desiree potatoes, peeled
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp chopped rosemary
- 4 TBSP olive oil
- 4 large eggs
- salt and black pepper
2) Wrap in a clean tea towel and squeeze out the excess liquid over the sink.
3) Transfer to a bowl and stir in the onion, rosemary and salt and pepper.
4) Heat half the oil in a large frying pan.
5) Divide the potato mixture into quarters and spoon into 4 x 12 cm (5 in) mounds in the pan, pressing down to form patties. I thought it was interesting how they sucked up the oil.
6) Cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes on each side, transfer to warmed serving plates and keep warm in a moderate oven.
7) Heat the remaining oil in the frying pan for about 1 minute until very hot.
8) Add the eggs, 2 at a time. They should sizzle.
9) Fry until the whites are bubbly and crisp looking.
10) Serve the eggs on the rosti.
You cannot make these in advance (i.e. make 4 for a week and reheat). They don't reheat in the microwave well, so you'll have to do it in a pan it will take the same amount of time.