National Chili Day! Plus, veggie chili is delicious, so why not make it all the time?
- 3 TBSP olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 tsp, sugar
- 250 g/9 oz chestnut mushrooms, slices (I used button mushrooms and 300 g because that is what Tesco had)
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 tsp mild chilli powder (I used hot because it's all I have
- 1 TBSP ground coriander
- 290-350 g jarred sweet red pepper sauce
- 300 ml (1/2 pint) vegetable stock
- 410 g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (I used 400 g because that is what Tesco had)
- 410 g can black eye beans, drained and rinsed (I used kidney beans and 400 g because that is what Tesco had)
- 1 cup of dry rice
- 2 cups of water
2) Fry the onions and sugar over a high heat, until deep golden.
3) Add the mushrooms, garlic, chilli powder and, ground coriander.
4) Fry for 2-3 minutes.
5) Stir in the pepper sauce, stock, chickpeas and beans.
6) Bring to a boil.
7) Begin making the rice by bringing 1 cup of rice to a boil with 2 cups of water.
8) Reduce the heat of the chili, cover and simmer gently for 20 minutes.
9) Once the water has disappeared from the rice, it is ready to be served with the chili.