National Chocolate Covered Day is Friday so I've made Fruit and Nut Square with Chocolate Drizzle. This is only part one for the day! Mine fell apart a bit...so instead of something for a quick breakfast like it was intended in Good Food 101 Cupcakes & Small Bakes, it is a nice breakfast to sit in and have (or put in a lunchbox/tuber ware and run out the door with like I'm sure I will). Those that stayed together did so mostly because I left the paper on the back--just have to remember to tell people to take it off before they eat it!
- 10oz butter, plus extra for greasing
- 16oz oats
- 2 oz desiccated coconut
- 4 oz light muscovado sugar
- 10 TBSP golden syrup
- 12oz unsalted mixed nuts, such as pistachio and peanuts (I used sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, pine nuts, and cashews....i.e. whatever was in my cupboards that needed using up--now I only have cashews left)
- 4 oz dried cranberries or cherries (or both!)
- 200g bar milk or dark chocolate (or both! and more!)
1) Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4/356F.
2) Butter an 18x28cm cake tin and line the base with baking parchment (or use whatever size you have...like I always have to)
4) Melt the butter in a pan over a medium heat with the sugar and syrup. Give it an occasional stir until the sugar has dissolved and the butter has melted.
5) Off the heat, stir in the oat mix, nuts, and dried fruit.
6) Leave until cold.
7) Cut two-thrids of the chocolate into chunks and stir into the mix.
8) Tip and spread the mixture into the tin.
9) Bake for 25-30 minutes until pale golden.
10) Mark into square while still warm (it will be very crumbly, so don't actually try to take it out!)
11) When completely cold, cut all the way through.
12) Melt the rest of the chocolate and drizzle it over the bars (or cover....b/c chocolate is delicious).