- 70g (2 1/2 oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 210g (7 1/2 oz) caster sugar
- 105g (3 1/2 oz) soft light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 TBSP finely grated orange zest
- 155g (9oz) plain flour
- 50g (1 3/4 oz) cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 240ml (8 1/2 fl oz) whole milk
- 600g (1 lb 5 oz) icing sugar
- 100 g (3 1/2 oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 250g (9 oz) full-fat cream cheese (such as Philadelphia)
- 60g (2 oz) cocoa powder
- 3 tsp finely grated orange zest
- Candied orange peel, thinly sliced, to decorate (recipe follows)
1) Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas mark 5
2) Fill a muffin tin with muffin cases
3) Using a hand-held electric whisk or a freestanding electric mixer with the paddle attachement, cream together the butter and both types of sugar until pale and fluffy.
4) Add the eggs one at a time on a medium speed.
5) Add the vanilla essence and orage zest and mix.
6) Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
7) Add to the creamed mixture in three batches with the milk, alternating between each and mixing on a low speed. Scrape down the sides of the bowl after addition.
8) Once everything has been incorporated raise the speed to medium and continue beating until the batter is well mixed and smooth.
9) Divide the mixture between the paper cases, filling each up to two-thrids full.
10) Place in the oven and bake for 18-20 minutes or until the sponges spring back when you gently press them.
11) Allow to cool for a short while in the tin, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completly before frosting.
12) To make the frosting, whist the icing sugar with the butter on a low speed, using either the electric whisk or the freestanding mixer with the paddle attachment, until crumbly in texture and no large lumps of butter remain.
13) Add the cream cheese and cocoa powder and continue to mix on a medium speed, until the frosing is smooth and light.
14) Add the orange zest and stir in by hand.
15) Divide the frosting between the cold cupcake and top with candied orange peel (recipe below)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cup water
- Orange slices
1) Boil the water and sugar
2) Add the orange and let simmer for 30-45 minutes
3) Remove from heat.