One of my new years resolutions was to celebrate food holidays. I've been using this to find them: http://www.tfdutch.com/foodh.htm and http://www.thenibble.com/fun/more/facts/food-holidays.asp
Today was National Vanilla Cupcake Day so I made these: http://www.wechooseorganic.com/2011/09/12/wonderful-tasty-and-rich-vanilla-cupcakes-you-dont-want-to-miss/
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vinegar
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 cup confectioners sugar (I used regular sugar so it came out kind of thick)
- water to thin it if necessary
1) Preheat the oven to 350f/176c. Put cupcake liners in the pan.
2) Mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3) Mix the vinegar and the milk in another bowl.
4) Beat the eggs in another bowl. Add the sugar to that and mix for a minute. Add the vanilla and vegetable oil
5) Add half the flour mixture to the egg mixture and mix. Then add half the milk, the rest of the flour mixture and then the rest of the milk mixture
6) Pour the batter into the cupcake pan (3/4 of the way) and bake for 12-15 minutes
7) Let the cupcakes cool completley before frosting.
1) Mix the butter and sugar together. Add the water if necessary to thin it out.
They are best when heated up for 10 seconds in a microwave!